Bill Gates Unplugged

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Towards Solving the Math-Science Achievement Crisis in our Schools

Presented By Eddie Griffin

BACKGROUND

I have been advocating a New Math curriculum for the longest, employing the latest tools in technology and a more refined understanding of the Theory of Learning. For example, when I went to prison in 1972 and came out in 1984, it was like entering into a Time Capsule and being teleported into the future.

T-TIME PROGRESSION

Starting from Time T1 … T2… T3… T(x), there was a skip into time for me, especially in mapping the world on a day-to-day basis. I was so far behind the times when I was released that my first blunder was putting a can of beans in a microwave oven.

Technologically, I was behind. But I had read much about the computer while incarcerated. If I ever were going to make a comeback, it would surely come by gaining knowledge in new technology. In 1984, personal computers were still in their infancy.

I was accepted in a vocational training program for machinists and machine shop inspectors. One of my favorite tools was my programmable TI calculator. These calculators are now in their third or fourth generation.

NEW THEORY OF LEARNING

If we ever to make a comeback in global competition, it would surely come by gaining knowledge in new technology. Nationally, we are weak in Math and Science. Yet, we have companies like Texas Instruments living next door, producing all these wonderful math and science tools.

If you were to visit the TI website, you would see what I mean by the New Math curriculum. The site is so rich and chocked full of information and calculator exercises, it is, within, itself a Math and Science curriculum adapt to the modern mode of today’s learning styles.

While school systems are throwing money in their math and science curriculum, trying to close the achievement gap and raising overall academic achievement, we have never considered thinking outside the box, toward companies like Texas Instruments.

Students are not informed that they can use TI calculators on high stakes exams like SAT, ACT, and Advanced Placement course exams.

After examining the deep, deep contents of this link (http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/sectionHome/activitybooks.html),

We should begin to take an integrative approach to teaching math and science, using the TI calculator series from Pre-K to post-grad.

No comments:

Promethean Board demonstration