Bill Gates Unplugged

Friday, August 10, 2007

Mind over Matter to the Outer Limits

Don’t go there, because I don’t even want to hear it. You cannot offer me a better standard less than perfection. If being the best that I can be means what I think it means, then it agrees with the Bible. Be ye perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Who would argue against Perfection being the highest standard to which to aspire? Bring on the standard bearers of low expectation, and I will fight them head on. Indeed, I welcome the challenge, rather than lose their friendship.

But no one is perfect, and no one can be perfect, they say. And, who are you to judge, seeing that you yourself is not perfect.

I know, I know. But it is kind of like what Paul said: “I press towards the mark”.

It’s all about pressing to be the best that you can be.

MIND OVER MATTER

On the television set of my mind, our society looks like Cartoon World. I cannot turn it off, even if I wished. When I came out of a prison death chamber, being given a reprieve to see the light of a new day on the outside, the world has looked different to me, ever since- kind of two-dimensional like a cartoon.

I had experienced the world in a different way during my incarceration. You see, in prison, I saw the human will do some amazing things. I saw a man fake his own death by willing his heart to stop beating. The doctor declared him dead, rolled him into the morgue in El Reno, Oklahoma, where he later escaped.

On another occasion, I saw a man’s stomach cut open “like a can of beans” (so said the victim). I saw him fold the separated layers together and walk to the prison infirmary without dropping a single drop of blood on the gym floor.

To will is to do. It’s all a matter of mind over matter, setting your sights beyond the physical realms in life. Similarly, goal-setting is a matter of looking up, not down- looking beyond mediocrity.

No man knows what goes on inside the minds of men. Some people hear voices. I hear singing. Some people’s thinking runs the full gambit, through a complex maze of meandering, through layers of logical assumptions and still come out babbling idiots. My words of wisdom can only increase the current level of idiocy. That is why I try not to lean on my own understanding.


Even so, whatever a man thinks in his heart, so be he. And, if he thinks he is living in Disneyland, so be it.

“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?" The Shadow knows!

The old 1940s radio and 1950s television show made me afraid to sleep at night when I was a child. (Think no evil. The Shadow knows what you think. What a strange way of saying that God knows the hearts of men?) What a strange way of saying that God knows the hearts of men?)

But when I was a child, my thinking was that of a child. My understanding was that of a child. And, just because I could use adult language, my profane words were the words of a child. (Something teachers often forget)

The human mind is a delicate thing. Although we are all part of the same species, some people are still living in caves- carved out as a refuge in their minds. This is why Mr. and Mrs. America looks like the Flintstones and the Simpsons.

Ultimately, Cartoon World will come in conflict with Reality TV. You need not adjust your sets, Reality TV comes live from the Outer Limits.

No comments:

Promethean Board demonstration